I, like 99% of you out there, (except maybe Kate Middleton, she is far from mere mortal) have a human body. That means weight fluctuates, we have good and bad hair days, sometimes we feel hot then the very next day maybe not. I am here to bust the myth that there are people out there that look perfect 100% of the time.
Especially when it comes to fitness and “fitspo” as its called we can get caught in a trap of looking at someone else’s body and feeling so bad about ours that we may lose motivation to even keep working out. I have so been there (pass the entire box of Oreos please).
First of all my hat is (way, way) off to the girls who are the fitness models/bodybuilders who watch every single thing that goes in their mouth and work out for hours every day. I actually tried doing that for about a month and realized that lifestyle was not very conducive to my daily doughnut habit, and my gym and I have a love hate relationship.
I am at a place of peace with my body. I work out about 5 days a week. Currently I am doing barre workouts 2-3 times and then hitting the gym for 45 mins of cardio the other days. For my eating habits I follow the 80/20 rule of good, clean healthy food 80% of the time and then whatever I want the other 20%. This is not a diet plan it is simply what works for me and what I can live and thrive on.
Back to what I was saying about bodies may vary. I consider myself to be in pretty good shape and eat decently. But I absolutely have good and “off” days and those thoughts can change just a day apart. If I am having a good eating day/week and have been working out regularly, drinking lots of water, and laughing so hard I get a sick pack I can look like this:
|I had been eating healthy all week with minimal junk food and had just done an ab tape.|
But this is what happens if even the next day after taking these I drink lots of pop, eat foods really high in sodium, overeat junk and don’t hydrate like I should:
|Not even pushing out my stomach. Just a very bloated day after eating a completely unhealthy meal at Cheesecake Factory, drinking a ton of pop and not working out.|
Plus good lighting, time of day, what I ate beforehand etc. all plays a role in how you look in your pictures. So all I’m saying is lets stop trying to chase fitness perfection and instead start looking to become healthier. Its not to say stop looking at inspirational pictures, but it is saying cut yourself some slack, enjoy life and food and realize we all have our own individual triumphs and setbacks.
What you see in some pictures can be the result of photoshop, a strict diet, thousands of hours of sweat in the gym and sometimes just plain old genetics and a good camera angle. On bad days I try to focus on what else my body does for me: dancing, breathing, hugging, walking, jumping, existing, and it does all this despite a six pack, thigh gap and with some cellulite and thats a damn amazing thing 😉